3 SibLim - the setup (Part I) (50)

Created on: 11 Sep 2015
Showing the lofting out, assembling and setting up of the bulkheads on a strongback.
  • The finished panelling: sanded, grooved (to look like tongue-and-groove) and with one coat of WEST epoxy rolled on.
  • My beautiful, second-hand portholes. They need a bit of work, but are generally in fine condition.
  • The strongback completed: this is what we will use to set up the bulkheads.
  • Assembling the strongback.
  • The strongback provides a wonderful, level surface on which to lay bulkheads for flocoating with WEST epoxy.
  • Gluing down part of the framework for the bilgeboard box.
  • Bulkheads ready for coating with epoxy
  • The wood fitted and ready for glueing
  • Close-up of the kauri panelling, before glueing. It is held in place, while the epoxy sets, with staples. There's no realistic alternative, but they (and their removal) damage the veneers.
  • Thin strips of kauri, 70mm wide, are cut and shaped to panel the bulkheads
  • 10 sheets of 12 mm gaboon ply. I've bought 43: $5,192 worth, to be exact! Boat building does nothing for your bank balance.
  • Ready to start lofting!
  • The first cut.
  • Laying out and lofting saloon bulkhead
  • Marking the bulkhead
  • Turn the photo sideways to get a better idea: these bulkheads have doorways cut out to access the saloon and sleeping cabin.
  • Marking the panel between bottom and topsides
  • David on the jigsaw. Guess who takes the photos.
  • At $104 a sheet, we seem to eat up plywood at a frightening rate. Here we are trying to use offcuts in as efficiently as possible.
  • Cutting a slot for the backbone
  • Some of the bulkheads will end up with very little plywood left in them. To save money, we decided to make temporary moulds from 'cover sheets' of MDF.
  • An Action Shot, for those who wish we used video.
  • One temporary mould, glued and screwed together: the other laid out. I have bought a 10.5v battery-powered, electric screwdriver (rattle-gun in Kiwi) which is both loud and scarily powerful!
  • All that's left of the aftermost bulkheads!
  • Flocoating panels for the bilgeboard housing. Note MDF moulds in the background.
  • Glassing the bilgeboard housing
  • More panels
  • Assembling the first bulkhead
  • Adding kauri to bulkhead no3 - the after end of the sleeping cabin
  • Fitting the Alaskan yellow cedar floor and framing to No 3.
  • Bulkead No 6 - the after end of the saloon/galley
  • Bulkhead No 1 - the forward end of the sleeping cabin
  • A little nail puller, I found, which is perfect for removing the staples with minimal damage. Thick cable ties (cut in half) prevent the staple from setting into the wood.
  • No 6, sanded and framed.
  • No 2. The bare bit of plywood (next to the yellow straight edge) is where the mast trough will be.
  • Where the thin planks of kauri are butted up, I rout a groove to look like T&G. I find it, frankly, nerve-racking. One lapse of concentration and I can ruin the whole bulkhead.
  • This is No 3 bulkhead. I moved it from where it had been and couldn't help but take the photo, because it looked so lovely. It's upside down, by the way!
  • A mega flocoating session before we can start erecting the bulkheads.
  • The first bulkhead, No 4, is set up, square and true.
  • No4 again. Of course, once we'd secured it firmly into place we realised that we should have moved No3 forward first. It's going to be a bit of a tussle manhandling it down the side of the strongback
  • Setting up bulkheads 3 and 4. The bilgeboards go between these and they will be our references for other bulkheads. It's important to get it right.
  • David setting up the saw for a new lot of work.
  • While there was still plenty of room, we decided to make a lot of expensive sawdust: sawing up Alaskan Yellow cedar for stringers, sheer clamp and also the framing for the bilgeboard cases.
  • The bilgeboard cases have been attached to bulkhead No 4 at the saloon (port) side.
  • Cleaning up the glue.
  • We set the forward bulkhead up so that it could be moved away in order to allow me to get glue on.
  • Brushing on epoxy.
  • All clamped up: here's hoping we got it right!
  • Bulkheads 3 and 4 with the bilgeboards in place.
  • The model is put out of harm's way, for consultation and inspiration
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software