Weaverbird - the refit

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
  • 13 Feb 2017 07:53
    Reply # 4606284 on 3994048

    I'd better say, in case it's not obvious, that the mast has a wooden plug in the bottom, extending in the form of a tapered tenon (large enough to carry the horizontal loads). The plug is bonded in with Sikaflex. It doesn't matter what shape it is, so long as it is not round - that will stop the mast from turning. It is well waxed before the mast is stepped. The fit within the mortise is slack, and casting polyurethane is poured down the hole, to flow through a channel left in the lower level of plywood and rise up around the tenon and the very bottom of the mast tube.

    Last modified: 13 Feb 2017 07:59 | David
  • 12 Feb 2017 21:00
    Reply # 4605731 on 3994048

    Thanks David - its great cooking to a recipe.

  • 12 Feb 2017 18:32
    Reply # 4605571 on 3994048

    null

    Block of mahogany shaped to the hull, & bonded with chopped glass + epoxy.
    4 x 12mm ply with a pyramidal mortice.
    1 x 12mm ply with a round hole 5mm bigger than the mast.
    Hole to pour polyurethane.

    Last modified: 12 Feb 2017 18:33 | David
  • 12 Feb 2017 17:33
    Reply # 4605523 on 3994048

    any chance of a pic of what you did at the bottom please

  • 12 Feb 2017 17:28
    Reply # 4605517 on 3994048

    Brilliant - thanks David

  • 11 Feb 2017 19:02
    Reply # 4604495 on 3994048

    This shows what I did. Squares 300 x 300, and then an arch under those, to stiffen up the deck to hull joint.

    null

  • 11 Feb 2017 16:39
    Reply # 4604291 on 3994048

    Hello David - I have bought the Red Fox Vision and am to start putting in the mast. Could you give me more details please on how you reinforced the deck. You said you bonded 5 layers of 12mm ply and were to do something else? Did you fair off the edges and how far across the underside of the deck did you reinforce.  Many thanks.

  • 10 Feb 2017 08:06
    Reply # 4602083 on 3994048

    PS. I'm taking this opportunity to shorten the rudder by 150mm. I believe it's the same rudder that was used on the Sonata, which had a fin keel with deeper draught. On the Duette, the twin keels are of the same draught as the rudder, which puts the rudder at risk when I take the ground. The rudder hangings are arranged so as to let the rudder lift vertically by 150mm, but even so, there's a risk if I sail in shoal water, and don't  remember to raise the rudder.

    Yes, Arne, before you mention it, I'll be putting on an end plate!

  • 09 Feb 2017 18:35
    Reply # 4600828 on 3994048

    Trials and Tribulations, or the doubtful pleasures of taking on an old boat. 

    I thought I’d better set to work on my rudder, which needed a little alteration at the top to suit the self steering I'm making, and needed a ton of old antifouling scraping off. There were hairline cracks showing, and the deeper I delved, the worse they got, until finally the whole thing came apart in my hands - it seemed that only the gudgeons and paint were holding it together. It’s made of vertical strips of mahogany, 75mm x 44mm, and there’s little sign of old glue in the joints; probably they used Cascamite. One joint had already been redone with epoxy, and that’s OK, but for the other three joints I’ll router grooves and add tongues as we did with SibLim's skegs. 

    So now the rudder is in bits, indoors, to dry out fully before re-glueing. Then it’ll get a layer of glass and then Coppercoat.


  • 13 Oct 2016 05:48
    Reply # 4303318 on 3994048

    Aahhhh.  That helps my limited 2D to 3D abilities.  I see it now.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software