Thanks for the report and photos on you needle work. I’m glad to see that you found it useful to use stick and string models to see how the rig will hang. I’m convinced if more people tried it there would be fewer high stressed rigs about, and less rig damage. I’m sure you realise I’m not so happy with the excess material in flat shelf foot construction, so I will continue to encourage the use of round and broadseam which is very easy after building the first panel.
The next sail I’m involved with will use Method 4 for joining the panels. It’s a new method we’re trying where the join is reinforced and the battens are lashed to the sail without pockets. It might suit long distance sailors who don’t want to have to slide battens into pockets when in deep water. Hopefully it will also allow Thai-Style construction to be used so that individual panels can be taken out of service for repair while still under way.
Kurt Jon Ulmer wrote:Great to hear, Paul!
Hope LaChica enjoys her last days in the yard.
Sailplan looks right.
Stavanger, Sunday morning
Congratulations and good luck Paul!
Actually, today is the 6th and hopefully last day of a sailmaking project in Stavanger: I am helping a friend, Håvard Hjertvik, who recently bought Edmond Dantes from Ketil Greve, with making a new sail. It is basically a copy of Johanna’s 48sqm sail. The only difference is that we have increased the camber a bit (from 8 to 9%) in the lower 4 panels. It will be interesting to see how Johanna and ED compare with this new sail on.
Sail material is white Odyssey III.
PS: Yes, we finished that sail at lunch-time today. See here and there. I hope to make a write up about how we did it, but basically the project is a scaled-up version of how I made Broremann's 10sqm sail in 2009.
site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors