I’m not quite sure of how you are planning to make the socket, but I wonder if it would be worth making a temporary one out of a couple of bits of cheap wood and trying it out before you use you tufnol sheet. This way you could chop and change at no real loss.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'morticing the socket'. I've heard of westerners using bungee to keep the yuloh on the pin, which seems to be cheating, and of easterners using some iron work around the tip of the blade to add weight and keep it from floating and lifting the yuloh of the pin, but to me morticing suggests chiselling a deep hole in the loom, which may work, but may weaken the loom.
I'm off to bed now so if you write again I'll answer tomorrow.
In August 2008 I tried the yuloh idea on my 29’ / 3ton Johanna. I have to say it was not a great success, but I think that if I had made a new blade for it, about 2-3’ longer, it would have been much better. Unfortunately I lost interest, partly because that Yamaha back there, never fails. The makeshift pivot is worth mentioning as it was the best thing with the whole yuloh: The yuloh is simply hanging right under the pushpit. Have a look here and then step yourself through the 3 next photos.
site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors