Split Junk Rig Sewed and waiting the boat

  • 09 Apr 2021 20:56
    Reply # 10292389 on 10275283

    .....I think you’re going to love it

  • 09 Apr 2021 13:42
    Reply # 10290918 on 10275283


    I was amazed at a couple of things:  the first was how well the stick and string model performed as the main design framework.  That is a brilliant piece of practical wisdom you created.  The second is, like Arne, you have really done an excellent job of laying out the steps for construction - there were very few places I got confused and couldn't find the answer as I went back through your descriptions.  

    thank you for sharing your time and brains so generously.  I'm really eager to see this thing in action. 

  • 06 Apr 2021 07:49
    Reply # 10277810 on 10275283

    Well done Scott.

    It will be interestng to see how it all works out.

    Cheers, Slieve.

  • 05 Apr 2021 18:09
    Reply # 10275336 on 10275283

    Thank you, Arne. And especially thank you for such a great write up of how to make these sails.  It wasn't until I got deep into the process that I realized what an excellent and detailed service you've provided.  

  • 05 Apr 2021 18:07
    Reply # 10275334 on 10275283

    Below are two photos of the top main/jib combo with the battens attached, and a photo of the two top storm panels. 

    3 files
  • 05 Apr 2021 17:58
    Reply # 10275288 on 10275283
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Good, Scott, one less hurdle left!


  • 05 Apr 2021 17:51
    Message # 10275283

    Well hello everyone,

    It's been a long time and my life has gone through many changes since I was on here last.  One of them has left me with nothing but time on my hands and a 10M Pearson still in the driveway. 

    So over the last two months I made the split rig sail.  Top Gun 9, approx 55 sq meters, 6 panels - 4 identical mains and jibs and the top two panels are full length with less camber. 

    I pretty much followed Sleive and Arne's instructions - very little departure.  Triple stitched seams everywhere, flat boltrope (seat belt webbing) around it all.  I used a Sailrite LSZ-1 for the whole thing and sewed it up in my basement.  

    It will all be a bit of a wait to see it on the boat - I still have a lot to do before it goes near the water.  But today was warm enough to start glassing in the floors - hopefully by the week end I'll have the bilge painted and the sole ready to go down. 

    Below is an image of the mains and jib.  I've forgotten how to post images well in the forum, so maybe more to follow. 

    1 file
    Last modified: 05 Apr 2021 17:57 | Anonymous member
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software