The Metamorphosis of Jasmine a 32ft Samson C-Mist - Updated 03.07.2023 - Attaching sheet and sheetlets, Mast Boot and Solar Arch. The Rig Part 2

  • 06 Sep 2021 23:14
    Reply # 10986858 on 10420926

    We came to realise that the partners as originally designed would mean that bolts for the base plate of the galvanized steel collar would have to go through the cross beams that had framed the fore hatch.
    To avoid this and to further improve the load spread the infill area at the partners and the base plate as well as the plate for underneath the partners to which it will be through bolted were enlarged.
    You can see the work done and the drawings of the collar and plates here.

  • 20 Jul 2021 22:50
    Reply # 10764323 on 10420926

    I have added the fourth and final album about making the sail which is now finished.

    You can find it here.

  • 16 Jul 2021 22:16
    Reply # 10756807 on 10420926

    I have added the third album in the series about making the sail.

    You can find it here.

  • 14 Jul 2021 21:08
    Reply # 10751628 on 10420926

    Hi Kris,

    If you take a look at the diagram below you will see the 'half lenses' that are along the top and bottom of the main parallelogram or body of each of the lower five sail panels.
    (It is these that give each panel its barrel cut aerofoil shape.)
    Because the Weathermax80 material I chose came in a roll width of 1520mm I could not fit in the full panel.
    So the solution I chose was to cut those two 'half lenses' separately and rejoin them to the parallelograms with a simple flat overlay 'seam' and three rows of stitches.

    In the case of the 3 upper panels we had a similar dilemma because of the leech length but solved it in a different way.

    In those panels we cut the paper patterns in half from the centre of the luff end to the centre of the leech end and then laid them side by side but with one flipped horizontally on the material as in Jasmine08s red panel #7 (counting up from the bottom) shown in the picture below.
    This allowed us to cut the two halves of the upper 3 panels out of one 1520mm wide section of material.
    We then rejoined them with the same simple overlay 'seam' and three rows of stitches we used when attaching the 'half lenses' to panels 1-5.
    (I believe this was also done on Peregrine's 80m² Victor Winterthun designed sail.)

    2 files
    Last modified: 14 Jul 2021 21:13 | Anonymous member
  • 14 Jul 2021 07:04
    Reply # 10750072 on 10420926


    good pictures showing the process of cutting the sail parts. One thing that looks strange to me - the shape of "half lenses" - they are quite triangular. I thought they suppose to be much aerofoiled,  alike NACA shaped, bow-like, at least trapeze. What idea is behind the the slightly rounded triangle lens shape?

    1 file
  • 13 Jul 2021 08:01
    Reply # 10747738 on 10420926
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    It all works for me now.

  • 13 Jul 2021 06:29
    Reply # 10747627 on 10420926

    Thank you David.

    I think I have fixed all the links?

  • 12 Jul 2021 21:27
    Reply # 10746855 on 10746791
    Hans-Erik wrote:

    I have added the second album of the sail making saga to my member profile albums..

    You can find it here.


    This link is only openable by you. You need to go to 'my directory profile' after you've added the photos, find the album in there, and then you will see '' as the first part of the URL. That's the link you need to use in your posting, so that we can all open it.

    In this case, it's

  • 12 Jul 2021 20:42
    Reply # 10746791 on 10420926

    I have added the second album of the sail making saga to my member profile albums.

    You can find it here.

    Last modified: 16 Jul 2021 22:18 | Anonymous member
  • 10 Jul 2021 07:46
    Reply # 10741637 on 10420926

    Not sure Graeme.

    The link/s work on my computer.

    Yup. That is the one Scott.

    Last modified: 10 Jul 2021 07:47 | Anonymous member
       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software