Galion 22 conversion

  • 29 Jun 2021 02:55
    Reply # 10709308 on 5070195

    I do exactly the same.  I am also reluctant to cut my batten parrels to length, should they be too long, in case I make some alteration in the future,.  I always seem to have loose ends flapping about, even when I think I've tucked them securely away.

  • 28 Jun 2021 20:30
    Reply # 10708387 on 5070195


    indeed there are ropes dancing around with the wind on my rig!

    One explanation is the fact that I never seem to get the length of the sheetlets and lazyjacks peefect enough, and I need to keep quite a lot of ”spare” rope to be able to shorten and lengthen them…

  • 27 Jun 2021 02:35
    Reply # 10703548 on 5070195

    She looks lovely, Jami.  It's great that all your hard work has paid off.  You must be really looking forward to summer, now.

    I was also pleased to see that I'm not the only one sailing around with bits of string dangling down from the sail and rig!!

  • 16 Jun 2021 20:23
    Reply # 10650361 on 5070195

    Another short tryout, and oh my, does the boat feel different!

    The effects of the new, lighter and narrower topmast can really be felt for example in a chop.

    The rudder works beautifully and has taken away the aggressive weather helm in gusts and when heeling.

    A short video can be seen here.

    There are things yet to be sorted with the self steering, but still: just look at the tiller when sailing with the wind on the bow - the tiller almost looks like it’s just casually and freely floating. The self steering seems to have a very light job to do.

    And let’s not forget that I also painted the mast black. To my eye it looks very nice with the yellow sail and the black unalome-insignia :)

    Last modified: 17 Jun 2021 10:38 | Anonymous member
  • 15 Jun 2021 11:35
    Reply # 10640648 on 5070195

    And by the way, if someone is interested: the new rudder works beautifully!

    It's very, very light - and silent! And most importantly: so far (after one or two very short tryouts) it seems that it has tackled the weather helm issue. At the same time - or because of this - the boat doesn't feel as much like a dinghy as it did before :)

    With the forthcoming summer vacation I hope to gather more experience on the matter.

  • 15 Jun 2021 11:31
    Reply # 10640597 on 5070195


    don't worry - the reason was not the construction itself. It worked very well as such. I was never worried for the strength, as it had a 10mm bolt going through the whole construction.

    But I remade my mast for this season. I cut the 100/4mm topmast off and used a tapered 120->60/3 tube instead. This made the mast considerably lighter and reduced windage even more than I thought.

    With this process I needed a mast plug/cap/whateveryoucallit with a same kind of change. I chose to make one from a 60mm nylon rod, as used by David Tyler on Weaverbird.

  • 14 Jun 2021 20:49
    Reply # 10636759 on 5070195

    Hi Jami,

    I was wondering, would you tell us why you decided to build a new mast head? I made mine by copying (to the best of my ability) your circular plywood masthead. Did the first one fail suddenly and dramatically?

    Edit: Now I am wondering if I imagined the old mast head entirely! I can't find it back in your older messages.

    Last modified: 14 Jun 2021 21:12 | Anonymous member
  • 24 May 2021 14:34
    Reply # 10544374 on 5070195

    Just a quick news update: success! And without destroying the plug!

  • 24 May 2021 10:14
    Reply # 10543847 on 5070195

    Something like this was the only vague idea I had. Now it seems like the only way to go. Thanks. Let's hope I won't destroy the plug - it would delay the splash for at least a week.

    Last modified: 24 May 2021 12:35 | Anonymous member
  • 24 May 2021 10:00
    Reply # 10543826 on 5070195

    What I'd do is to cut off the top straight section, leaving just enough straight 60mm for bury for the plug, then cut off at the level of the bottom of the plug. Then use a multitool with a metal cutting blade to cut vertical gaps through the tube at six or eight equally spaced intervals. It won't matter if you cut too deep, into the plug. It should be possible, I hope, to get a chisel between the now-separate tube sections and the plug, with the plug held upside down in a vice, and lever the sections off. Then you will be able to scrape the plug clean and start again.

       " ...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in junk-rigged boats" 
                                                               - the Chinese Water Rat

                                                              Site contents © the Junk Rig Association and/or individual authors

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software